Chicas, it has been a year. Our in-person events were canceled, including our shoe drive fundraisers, in-person volunteering became obsolete, and our meetings have became a mix of strategies to fulfill our shoe drive fundraising goals and plan for an uncertain future.
Here’s Where We’re At:
- We have not met our 2020 “Starting Off on the Right Foot” fundraising goal. Thank you to everyone who has donated (both money and items for yard sale fundraiser, to everyone who shopped at our yard sale, and to our volunteer! We’re still a bit shy from our shoe drive goal, but the good news is that we have some time. Just as we’re trying to navigate these odd times, so are area schools. If you’re able to, please consider donating.
- We started a virtual book club! In April we started Chicas Latinas’ virtual book club. In eight months, we’ve read 8 books — all by Latina authors. We even had an author join us once!
- We gave away money! We awarded a local high school student with a $2,000 scholarship to use towards college, through Chicas Latinas’ annual scholarship award program.
- All is not lost. We’ve been in contact with many of the local organizations we regularly work with and are working together to identify safe ways Chicas Latinas can volunteer and continue making a difference in our community — either virtually or at a safe 6-foot distance. Stay tuned! (If you’re interested in helping us shape what our 2021 might look like, consider joining our Programs & Event Committee)
What you can do NOW:
Join our December / January Book Club. Discussions are weekly on Thursday evenings, reading schedule will be sent to everyone who registers via zoom: https://bit.ly/CLBookClubDecJan
- Next month, #CLBookClub will start “Clap When You Land,” by Elizabeth Acevedo, and the readings will be spread across two months.
- Purchase your book from a Latinx retailer, here are a few in California: Tia Chuchas, Other Books LA, Booklandia. And if you want to keep it local to Sacramento, check out Underground Books.
Join our December 9th Program & Events Committee meeting, and help us start planning for a reemerging in 2021! Meetings are evenings via zoom. Email for more info: email@example.com
Check out Sacramento Hispanic Chamber of Commerce’s Estrella Awards! SACHCC will be hosting “Estrellas Week” from Dec. 7 to 11.
Learn about the different ways you can give in Sacramento this holiday season!
- You can give multiple ways to The Sacramento Children’s home via its Holiday Giving Program, adopt a child (family from the nursery) or donate gift cards.
- Consider donating to Sacramento Loaves & Fishes and follow them on social media, where they often post urgent/timely needs.
- Stay connected and support our local cultural organizations ~ we hear there will be some holiday posadas coming to town!
And lastly, we’d be honored if you become a Chicas Latinas donor. Chicas Latinas’ has done ZERO fundraising for its own costs this year. Whether you’re able to contribute a one-time donation or a reoccurring donation — every donation adds up and helps us reach and stay active in the Sacramento community. Can’t donate? Share our efforts with your network and/or join us as a volunteer! (Extra points if you’re the digital type.)