Our Sacramento Latina book club began as a way to keep our community members connected during the pandemic, while celebrating our culture and supporting Latinx creators. Little did we know then that book club would be such a hit and we’d be here, still reading, nearly two years and twenty books later!
Thank you to everyone who has joined #CLBookClub in 2020 and 2021, from near and far! Incorporating a book club into our Sacramento Latina-powered nonprofit has been a wonderful, insightful, and healing experience. And it has allowed us to connect with Latinas from all over the country!
Each month #CLBookClub reads a new book (titles are voted on and listed months in advance) and book club discussions are held weekly, where participants discuss the assigned reading for the week. Reading and discussing books in sections has allowed members to dissect the reading as a group and have powerful and in-depth conversations. Register for Chicas Latinas’ book club via Eventbrite.
Before we announce our first book clubs picks for 2022, let’s take a look at the list of all the books Chicas Latinas de Sacramento’s book club has read.
2021 Book List:
- Feb.: “What Would Frida Do?: A Guide to Living Boldly” by Arianna Davis
- March: “Once I Was You” by Maria Hinojosa
- April: “Fat Chance, Charlie Vega” by Crystal Maldonado
- May: “Of Women and Salt: A Novel” by Gabriela Garcia
- June: “In the Dream House” by Carmen Maria Machado
- July: “The Soul of a Woman” by Isabel Allende
- Aug.: “The Distance Between Us: A Memoir” by Reyna Grande
- Sept.: “Written in Starlight” by Isabel Ibañez
- Oct.: “The Beautiful Ones” by Silvia Moreno-Garcia
- Nov.: “Furia” by Yamile Saied Méndez
- Dec.: “Caramelo” by Sandra Cisneros
2020 Book List:
- April: “How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents” by Julia Alvarez
- May: “I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter” by Erika L. Sánch
- June: “Everyone Knows You Go Home” by Natalia Sylvester
- July: “The House of the Spirits” by Isabel Allende
- Aug: “Mexican Gothic” by Silvia Moreno-Garcia
- Sept.: “Woven in Moonlight” by Isabel Ibañez
- Oct.: “Things We Lost in the Fire: Stories” by Mariana Enriquez
- Nov.: “Sabrina & Corina: Stories” by Kali Fajardo-Anstin
- Dec/Jan.: “Clap When You Land” by Elizabeth Acevedo
A special thank you to the amazing Latina authors who have joined our book club discussions!
2022 Book Titles
Join us in 2022! Chicas Latinas’ book club titles have been selected for January and February, registration opens a month before our first discussion: https://chicaslatinas.eventbrite.com.
“The Inheritance of Orquídea Divina”
by Zoraida Córdova
“For Brown Girls with Sharp Edges…”
by Prisca Dorcas Mojica Rodríguez
Stay tuned for more titles to be announced…